Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

New Camera Mania

Here are a few pics from work this
week.











This is a roof top garden I maintain in a fancy neighborhood in lower Manahattan. One of my co-workers did all the plantings and, for now, I go weed and water once a week. It is nice to pretend that I live in a fancy building with a private rooftop garden. I also like seeing all the other rooftop gardens around me as I work.












This is one of the areas that I rotate through for watering it is called hoops and frames. It is my favorite place to water because I get to be alone, I get to do a lot of grooming, and you get to experience plants that are in a variety of life satges i.e. seedlings, diseased, dormant, rooted cuttings, damaged, and etc.

This is a pic of potting up which were grown from digitalis seeds, common name fox glove, that I had collected about five weeks prior.

Here are some cuttings that Will and I did. After trimming them off the plants and dipping them in rooting hormone we firmly plant them in these trays and then they get put underneath a mister for a few weeks to a month.


The first pic is of an Eryngium species that I collected seed from and the second pic is the seed separating process.This is super fun process which reminds me of grade school science class when you dissected a marigold to understand all of it's reproductive parts. If you have a magnifying glass it is also fun to take a closer look at the seeds. The magic/science of a seed is so amazing to me. The power in nature around us is truly inspiring.


Here I am working at the potting bench dividing Bromeliads. This was fun too, but I felt like a bone doctor when they have to
break something to repair it. The roots are very dense and not easy to cut through, I actually broke a sweat. Bromeliads flower and then they send out new baby Bromeliads which are called pups. Once these pups reach a certain size some people prefer to go in and remove the mother plant, which is what my goal was here. At Wavehill they don't have enough space to keep every mother plant and all her pups. If they did eventually they would be known as Bromeliad Hill. HA!HA!

Here is Diana's plant of the week Berlandiera lyrata in the Asteraceae family.

This was Rachel's family of the week Thymus. There are many different species of thymus in the dry garden so she chose to do the genius as a whole.




Osi chose Salvia discolor which is in the mint family Lamiaceae.

Jen chose Lavendula which is also in the mint family Lamiaceae.
I chose Santolina but I can't fit anymore pictures into this post.





Have a nice week/end y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment